Even if you have learned lots of knowledge about CNC turning, there are still many thorny problems in the processing, and inexperienced operators may not know what measures to take. Here are the guide to CNC lathe operation, including tips for CNC turning programming, tool setting and process, hope it helps.
Tips for CNC Turning Programming
CNC turning programming is used to create instructions for tell the computer numerical controlled turning machine or lathe what to do and how to do, high involved in the manufacturing process and operation details, so understanding how to program CNC lathe more effectively is important.
1. Firstly, consider the processing sequence of CNC turning parts:
– First drilling and then turning flat end face, to prevent shrinkage during drilling
– First rough turning, then fine turning, to ensure the accuracy of parts
– First machining larger tolerance, then machining smaller tolerance, to ensure that the surface of parts with smaller tolerance will not be scratched and avoid the deformation
2.Then, select proper rotating speeds, feeds and cutting depth based on the hardness of material:
– Carbon steel: high speed, high feed rate, and large cutting depth. For example: 1Gr11, select S1600, F0.2, and 2mm cutting depth
– Cemented carbide: low speed, low feed, and small cutting depth.
– Titanium alloy: low speed, high feed,and small cutting depth.
CNC Lathe Tool Setting Method
CNC tool setting is using specific device and software to determine the geometric information for CNC cutting tool, like diameter, length, etc. This tool setting method is suitable for mass production of the same lathe part for a long time, its a direct setting method, not using setting instrument, even if the machine is powered off, the tool setting value will not change when it power on again, you can turn off the lathe and turn on next time without resetting.
1) Select the center of the right end face of the part as the tool setting point, and set it as the zero point.
2) After the lathe returns to the zero point, set each cutting tool that needs to be used with the center of the right end face of the part as the zero point.
3) When the tool contacts the right end face, input Z0 and click to measure, and then the tool compensation value of the tool will automatically record the measured value, which means that the tool setting of Z-axis is completed.
4) The tool setting of X-axis uses trial cutting, use the tool to turn the outer circle of the part, measure the value of the turned outer circle, input the value, click to measure, the tool compensation value will automatically record the measured value, and then the tool setting for X-axis is completed as well.
Tips for CNC Parts Processing
When the trial cutting of the first workpiece is finished, the batch production can get into started. During the turning process, different materials will cause varying degrees of tool wear, especially the hard materials, will accelerate the tool wear, so the quality of the whole batch parts can be guaranteed as the first one. It’s necessary to check out and measure frequently, increase or decrease the tool compensation value in time, ensure the CNC part can be produced in accordance with requirements.
The basic principle of CNC machining:
– First rough machining, to remove the redundant materials of the workpiece, then finish machining;
– During the machining process, avoid vibration or chatter; avoid the thermal denaturation of the workpiece
– There are reasons causes chatter, like overload, resonance vibration of the lathe and workpiece, poor rigidity of the machine, passivation of the cutter and more. The method to reduce chatter including: reduce the cross feed and machining depth; check whether the workpiece is firmly clamped; check whether it is necessary to replace the tool, and more effective tips for how to stop CNC turning chatter are available on zjcncmachine.com.